Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Japan offers New Scholarships
Annual sum of \2.0 million, \1.5 million or \1.0 million
(Amount of scholarship will be determined according to the assessment by the selection committee.)
Annual sum of \500,000 for applicants receiving scholarships or benefits from other sources
Note: Scholarship recipient’s failure to make satisfactory academic progress or engagement in unethical or immoral behavior as a student, as well as violation of laws or regulations, may result in reduction or withdrawal of scholarship.
One year: April to March
However, recipients are eligible to apply to renew their scholarship for up to two additional terms, for a total scholarship period of three years.
(1) The scholarship recipient withdraws from the school.
(2) The recipient takes leave of absence from the school or is absent for an extended period.
(3) The recipient fails to advance toward his or her degree or is at risk of failing to meet graduation requirements.
(4) The recipient is not expected to graduate due to injury or illness.
(5) The recipient fails to make satisfactory academic progress or engages in unethical behavior.
(6) Circumstances render the scholarship unnecessary.
(7) Circumstances other than the above arise that disqualify the recipient.
(8) The recipient is expelled from school for disciplinary reasons.
(9) The recipient otherwise ceases to meet scholarship criteria.
(1) Applicants must be citizens of a country in Asia, the Middle East, Africa or citizens of Brazil, Russia, or the Czech Republic.
(2) Applicants must be majoring in medicine, pharmacology, nutrition, physical education or business administration in an official degree
program at a university or graduate school in Japan.
(3) Applicants must be highly motivated, possess an outstanding academic record, and demonstrate personal integrity.
(4) Applicants must be involved in creative or innovative research.
(5) Applicants must have an international perspective and demonstrate potential leadership skills to serve as bridges between Japan
and their home countries in the future.
(6) Applicants must meet all other requirements stipulated by the Foundation.
All materials supplied by the applicant will be used solely for the purposes of carrying out our activities.
* Application forms and supporting documents will not be returned.
Downloadable Application Form (Reference Form and Letter of Recommendation included)
※You can download the application form here.
2014 Forms for New Applicants: PDF format (approx. 440 kb)
2014 Forms for Renewing Applicants: PDF format (approx. 420 kb)
The application period for fiscal 2014 is from Tuesday, April 1, to Thursday, May 15, 2014, inclusive. (Applications must be received by the Foundation within this period.)
The screening process involves reviewing the applications and interviewing candidates who pass the initial screening.
The Foundation will not contact applicants who fail the initial screening. Recipients will be chosen by the selection committee, with decisions finalized by the Representative Director.
The interview portion of the process is generally carried out from late June to early July.
Scholarship recipients will be selected in mid-July and notified by the end of July.
Attendance at the certification ceremony and submission of the Letter of Agreement are compulsory for official certification as scholarship recipients.
Scholarship are generally disbursed twice annually on predetermined dates in August and December. Funds will be deposited directly into the recipient’s designated bank account.
Scholarships are grants, not loans, and are not repaid.
Approx. 80 in fiscal 2014 (86 students received scholarships in fiscal 2013, 87 students received scholarships in fiscal 2012)
The Foundation’s scholarship has the following characteristics:
Scholarship recipients are expected to fulfill the following obligations:
(1) Scholarship recipients are expected to comply with all rules stated in the Scholarship Guide and to inform the Foundation promptly
if any conflicts with eligibility requirements are present or arise.
(2) Recipients are expected to promptly notify the Representative Director if any of the following apply:
i. Leave of absence, reinstatement, transfer or withdrawal
ii. Suspension or other disciplinary action
iii. Change in name, address or other important personal information
(3) Recipients are expected to submit the following documents to the Representative Director in December:
i. Student registration certificates and report on residential status
ii. Aacademic transcripts
(4) Recipients are expected to attend events held by the Foundation.