Faculty PhD Scholarships
The University of Sheffield invests a significant amount of funding each year in order to support the very best postgraduate research students. For entry in 2014-15, each Faculty is offering a number of scholarship awards on a competitive basis.
Each Faculty can offer a range of awards which may include:
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a full maintenance stipend at the RCUK rate (full-time rate was £13,726 for 2013-14)
- Fees (UK/EU or Overseas) and a half maintenance stipend (full-time rate £6,863 for 2013-14)
- Fees only (UK/EU or Overseas)
- a contribution towards fees and/or maintenance
- access to Research Support funds for conference and other expenses
These scholarships fund up to three years full-time or six years part-time study, subject to satisfactory progress. Part-time studentships are paid at 50% of the full-time rate.
- You should have, or expect to achieve, a first or upper second class UK honours degree or equivalent.
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in the 2014-15 academic year (i.e. after 1st August 2014, exact start date to be agreed with your supervisor/ department).
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
Please note that the Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry & Health offers Faculty Scholarships for specific projects only. Information on the available projects and deadlines for application to these can be found on the Faculty Graduate School pages.
How to apply
Scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis – applications are assessed on the basis of academic success and qualifications, experience, research background, a clear well-articulated research proposal, the potential impact of the research and a good match with supervisor/ departmental expertise.
1. As a first step you should contact an academic department/ supervisor to discuss your proposed research project.
2. Apply for admission as a PhD student. Once you have done this you will receive an application/ admissions number (usually within a few working days). You will need this number to apply for a scholarship, so please ensure that you apply in plenty of time before the deadline.
3. Once you have an application number, apply for a scholarship by completing the scholarships application form. This form will be considered alongside the information and supporting documents (transcripts, references etc) that you supplied with your admissions application. You can use this form to apply for various scholarship schemes (University Prize, Faculty, Harry Worthington, Wolfson, ESRC DTC Scholarships) – please complete it once only, ticking the schemes you wish to be considered for.
4. The closing date for Faculty scholarship applications is Monday 3rd February 2014 at 12 noon. Late applications will not be accepted in any circumstances.
5. Your application will be reviewed by scholarship panels, and you will be informed of the outcome after the February deadline, and before the end of May 2014.
If you have any questions about Faculty Scholarships please firstname.lastname@example.org.