English Mcqs Practice Test For Lecturer Exam
1. Sylvia Plath married which English poet?
2. Carl Sandburg ‘Planked whitefish’ contains what kind of imagery?
a. Sea scenes
b. Rural Idyll
d. Innocent childhood
3. Which influential American poet was born in Long Island in 1819?
a. Emily Dickinson
b. Paul Dunbar
c. John Greenleaf Whittier
d. Walt Whitman
4. In 1960 ‘The Colossus’ was the first book of poems published by which poetess?
a. Elizabeth Bishop
b. Sylvia Plath
c. Marianne Moore
d. Laura Jackson
5. In his poem Kipling said ‘If you can meet with triumph and . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ‘?
6. Which of the following is not a literary device used for aesthetic effect in poetry?
7. True or false: Writing predates poetry.
8. What is the earliest surviving European poem?
a. The Homeric epic
b. The Gilgamesh epic
c. The Deluge epic
d. The Hesiodic ode
9. Which of the following is not a poetic tradition?
a. The Epic
b. The Comic
c. The Occult
d. The Tragic
10. What is the study of poetry’s meter and form called?
1. A pattern of accented and unaccented syllables in lines of poetry
2. The repetition of similar ending sounds
3. Applying human qualities to non-human things
4. The repetition of beginning consonant sounds
5. A comparison of unlike things without using a word of comparison such as like or as
6. The comparison of unlike things using the words like or as
7. Using words or letters to imitate sounds
8. a description that appeals to one of the five senses
9. A poem that tells a story with plot, setting, and characters
10. A poem with no meter or rhyme
11. A poem that generally has meter and rhyme
1. Which poem ends ‘I shall but love thee better after death’?
a. How do I love thee
b. Ode to a Grecian urn
c. In faith I do not love thee with mine eyes
d. Let me not to the marriage of true minds
2. Which poet is considered a national hero in Greece?
a. John keats
b. Lord Byron
3. Which kind of poem is Edward Lear associated with?
4. In coleridge’s poem ‘The rime of the Ancient Mariner’where were the three gallants going?
a. A funeral
b. A wedding
d. To the races
5. Harold Nicholson described which poet as ‘Very yellow and glum. Perfect manners’?
a. e. e. Cummings
b. T. S. Elliot
c. John Greenleaf Whittier
d. Walt Whitman
6. What was strange about Emily Dickinson?
a. She rarely left home
b. She wrote in code
c. She never attempted to publish her poetry
d. She wrote her poems in invisible ink
7. Rupert Brooke wrote his poetry during which conflict?
a. Boer War
b. Second World War
c. Korean War
d. First World War
8. Which Poet Laureatewrote about a church mouse?
9. Which American writer published ‘A brave and startling truth’ in 1996
a. Robert Hass
b. Jessica Hagdorn
c. Maya Angelou
d. Micheal Palmer
10. Who wrote about the idyllic ‘Isle of Innisfree’?
a. Dylan Thomas
b. Ezra Pound
c. W. B. Yeats
d. e. e. cummings
Virtual University of Pakistan VU Offers an opportunity to students to get hands-on practice on modern tools and technologies for software development
VU is offering an opportunity to students to get hands-on practice on modern tools and technologies for software development at VU Premises (At VU Lawrence Road Office Lahore). This opportunity is for those students who have good programming skills, database concepts and problem solving ability.
Address & Contact: 54-Lawrence Road Lahore, 0423-6373048, 0423-6373049 (Extension: 8621, 8623)
Training will be given to the students so that they could develop necessary skills for project development under following categories:
- Microsoft Dot Net
The students who already have development skills for above mentioned categories will be given preference.
You will then be allotted real applications to develop which will polish your skills in your selected tools and technologies. Also it will replace your CS619 project work. As completing a project will be equal to completing the Project requirements for CS619 (You will be allotted CGPA out of 4.0).
The lab is equipped with latest PC’s and high speed internet to assist you in a development environment. Some academic staff from R&D department will supervise you for the whole activity and will help you in general
The general timings will be from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM excluding Saturday, Sunday and any public holiday.
Note that you will not be given any stipend. Also no TADA or any other allowance is applicable.
Eligibility & How to Apply: This opportunity is offered mainly to students who are residing in Lahore. However any student willing to move to Lahore to avail this opportunity, is encouraged as well. Also this is only for the students who are registered in CS619 for the first time in Spring 2014 semester. The final selection will be based on interview that will be conducted later.
If you are willing to avail this opportunity, then you can send email at email@example.com registeration is open uptilApril 15, 2014