PPSC Lecturer English Recruitment Mcqs notes Test
The epic poem Beowulf consists
ANS: 3182 alliterative lines
3. Which epic poem from old English Literature has been declared the national epic poem of England?
ANS: Beowulf Epic Poem
4. The epic poem Beowulf is written in
ANS: Scandinavian Script
5. Who wrote the epic poem Beowulf?
6. The Old English “Martyrology” is a Merican collection of
7. Eynsham was a prolific 10th-century writer of
ANS: Hagiographies and Homilies
8. The earliest English poet whose name is known is;
9. King Alfred’s reign ended in
ANS: 9th century
10. In the battle of Maldon in 991, The Anglo-Saxons failed to prevent
ANS: Vikings’ Invasion
11. “The Wanderer” is an old English poem that consists
ANS: 115 Lines of alliterative verse
12. A poem that mourns a loss, or has the more general meaning of a simply sorrowful piece of writing is called;
13. The English Literature is generally seen as beginning with the;
ANS: Epic Poem Beowulf
14. NormANS conquered the England in
15. Which language became the standard language of courts, parliament and polite society during the reign of NormANS?
ANS: Law French
16. Who trANSlated the Bible in the Middle English Period?
17. Which pre-Reformation movement rejected many of the distinctive teachings of the Roman Catholic Church?
ANS: The Lollard Movement
18. The term “Lollard” refers to whom?
ANS: The followers of John Wycliffe
19. A prominent theologian who was dismissed from the University of Oxfard in 1381 for criticism of the Church was;
ANS: John Wycliffe
20. Middle English Period lasts up till the;
21. Patience and Purity are alliterative poems written by;
ANS: Sir Gawain
22. What is the term “Chancery Standard” meant in English Literature?
ANS: A form of London-based English
23. Where is the Geoffrey Chaucer buried in?
ANS: Poet’s Corner of Westminster Abbey
24. Geoffrey Chaucer is best known for his;
ANS: Canterbury Tales
25. The first recorded association of Valentine’s Day is in Chaucer’s;
ANS: Parliament of Fouls
26. Who was the personal friend of Geoffrey Chaucer?
ANS: John Gower
27. Which book is believed to be the first published book written by a woman in the English language?
ANS: Revelation of Divine Love
28. William Caxton invented the printing press in
29. Pilgrim’s progress is a famous allegory of medieval period written by;
ANS: John Bunyan
30. Renaissance is usually regarded as beginning in 14th-century in;
1. 31. The term Renaissance in English Literature meANS
32. The English Renaissance was actually the;
ANS: Cultural and Artistic Movement
33. John Florio was an excellent;
ANS: Linguist and Lexicographer
34. Sonnet was introduced into English Literature from
ANS: Italian Literature
35. The Faerie Queene, an epic poem was written by
ANS: Edmund Spencer
36. The defense of the poetry is the work of
ANS: Sir Philip Sidney
37. What is significant about “Gorboduc” the first verse drama in English Literature?
ANS: Blank Verse was used in it for the first time ever
38. Reign of the Elizabeth-I started in
39. Reign of the James-I started in
40. Thomas Wyatt is one of the earliest English poet of
ANS: Renaissance Age
41. Who is known as the poets’ poet in English Literature?
ANS: Edmund Spencer
42. Sonnet is a
ANS: 14-lines poem
43. What is called the first eight lines of Sonnet?
44. What is called the last six lines of Sonnet?
45. What is the rhyming scheme of Octave in sonnet?
46. What is the rhyming scheme of sestet in sonnet?
ANS: : c-d-e-c-d-e or c-d-c-c-d-c.
47.William Shakespeare, Ben Jonson, and Christopher Marlowe were
ANS:Elizabethan age playwrights.
48. Dr. Faustus is the very famous play, written by
ANS: Christopher Marlowe
49. The Alchemist, comedy was written by
ANS: Ben Johnson
50. The ‘Table Alphabeticall’ is believed to be first ever dictionary in English language was written in 1604 by;
ANS; Robert Cawdrey